RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/16 sherman on landing craft
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 AM
204sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/16 sherman on landing craft

All, A little off-topic but while we`re discussing landing craft here are some pix of my Captain`s Gig that I built while aboard the U.S.S. Sarasota (APA 204).In the photos the Gig is in the Ridgewood duck pond here in N.J In the year 2000. Since I knew we were going to be away from the states
for an extended period,before we left Nofolk,VA I went into town and bought an armload of balsa
wood and ambroid glue and built it using single edge razor blades and straight pins. I could only work on it when I was not on watch,but since I was in C.I.C.,it never hurt to have another crewmember around in case of an emergencey, like another hand at the plotting board.As the
model started taking shape,more guys from different divisions started to get involved,with the Carpenter shop making a base from scrap LCVPwood, the tinsmiths made fleur-de- les out of
copper for the base, and the Boatswain`s mate made the fenders and the ornamental rope curtain for the cabin.Fortunately for me I was able to carry the boat home to my folk`s house in Brooklyn,NY when we got libertyinNew York in December,1953.It`s powered by a speed 400 with a 4:1 gearbox from Hobby Lobby.

Charlie

P.S. Can you tell which isthe real thing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74545.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1432776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97213.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1432777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46939.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	9.8 KB