RCU Forums - View Single Post - Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft
Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
VKGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

ORIGINAL: Doug47

Maybe it's just the Marine in you that doesn't know how to play nice with the general population....They never untrain you ''boots'', do they? Go ahead and get fired up, I'm not a civilian anyway so I too understand ''what a, uh, kitty, was. And wasn't.''
That's good, and I sure don't take any offense to that whatsoever.
I've been away from the Marine Corps a long time now, I'm a full-timer in the Army Guard and am way,way over phoney inter-service rivalries.
I don't think a lot of people realize just what an ugly mess our economy is and will be in the future. Nearly every major company in this country is hanging by a thread, and regardless of what happened here it's moronic to believe Horizon did anything on purpose...Just flat stupid.
A lot of things can lead to lashing out and bitterness....ED, etc.
Also, the company does have a great reputation for customer service, and if anyone would objectively look at all the whining a that goes on in these threads they'd see that it's not an easy business to be in.
Just as one poster lamenting structural failures in two H-9 airplanes. Really ? You mean the highly experienced builders here can't look at a plane and tell it needs a beefed up horizontal stab before you even fly it ? Come on.
Funny, i had a Corsair my buddy owns now with an O.S. 1.08 I'd fly the crap out of, high speed snaps, outside loops, and it never had a structural failure. Because the stab needed re-inforced before it even flew. Duh. I didn't mind at all. Hey, if people want ARF's built like we all built kits they'd be available..for about 700 bucks.
So no, I don't work for them. My Spectrum radio works great, I fly two heli's and 4 planes on it. All these years of flying (r/c airplanes 20+) I've only had one radio related failure, and that was the aforementioned cold solder joint done by an authorized repair center,who you know what ? They didn't do it on purpose.They sent me a new receiver, and I didn't have the lack of manners to ask for anything further.
It sucks what happened there. There are a whole lot of completely satisfied Spektrum owners though, and i'm just one of them.
Horizon is a good company. If they were gone, they'd be missed ,I'll tell you that. Doug
This was the more constructive post that most people would follow this thread for so props for that

On a somewhat related note, a guy that I know in Tucson has claimed to have lost multiple airplanes while using the Spektrum technology. He has also tried some of the other 2.4ghz frequency hoping brands and has similar claims with them as well. I should note that he is very meticulous with his setups and whatnot but it's hard to say if his logic is flawed or not because he can be a real pain in the ass sometimes and strikes a lot of people as someone who has to blame the airplane for failures rather than pilot error. Anyway, The only one that he truly believes in now is Futaba's Fasst technology. From what I remembered about living in Tucson when the FASST stuff came out, the receivers would shut down and lock out in the heat. Of course this is all hearsay but I constantly hear of issues on both sides of the fence but the guys who seem to consistently have issues from my reading and talking to people are the guys with DX radios........

It's hard to say anything on that because I've never had problems with 72mhz JR radio gear and more recently, JR 2.4ghz (Spektrum) gear. I use a 9303 Radio with AR7000s and R922s. So far so good. FWIW, I chose the JR9303 based on it's long successful history and this is why I would not trust any radio that looks cheap or feels cheap (in my own personal opinion) like some of the Spektrum ones that I've seen. I've ordered a JR 11x and I will slowly learn to trust that radio and use the 9303 as a backup. I know I'm rambling but I just got off the plane and I'm out of it.