RCU Forums - View Single Post - Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Anybody that does not test a new radio system in a beater airplane is just asking for trouble.

I use a three stage approach.

Step one it goes in my glider. Electric paid $15.00 for it at a swap meet. for 10-20 flights.
Step two it goes into a my magic or Sig Kougar both nitro for at least 30 flights. Both bought at swap meets for under $75.00
Step three Now available to put in any model.

The technique I use was born out of pure desperation back in the 80's when FM was first coming out and there was a rash of bad receivers and transmitters. I lost five planes in two weeks in that time and ARF's were as rare as kits are now. So I am leary of new equipment. I don't care what reviews say or other people. You have to be smart and test your new equipment. I have seen so many nice planes going into the ground because people "trust" a new radio.

I now have a Turnigy 9x 2.4 radio system, Inexpensive but it works problem free I can trust it. I am putting it now with fully tested receivers in a 96 inch Davis D1W scratch built, a CMP 120 Corsair and a Regal Eagle ducted fan. The radio is now in its second season. I also fly my electric Sig 109, my Gnat electric pattern plane, and others problem free on this radio with over three hundred flights on it with six different recievers. Over kill? Maybe but it works. I have not lost a plane to Radio failure. Since I started doing this.