RCU Forums - View Single Post - Moving To A Better Electric Motor.....
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Moving To A Better Electric Motor.....

ORIGINAL: proanti1

So, which would you prefer as a beginner? A brushed motor that would nearly double the speed, ''very substantial'' doesn't have to mean 55. Or a brushless system that would probably not work in the first place with about a 25% chance that it will develop some sort of a problem, then over heat because he cannot gear down to the required pinion size. He also needs to continue running the 6cell packs because they are the only thing that will fit (with the exception of some life packs).

Obviously you have never owned one of those brushless systems, or read anything about them. I hear great reviews about them all the time, and that 100a ESC wont even know its working in a buggy.

He isnt a beginner. He even states "been doing it for years" in the first post. I assure you if he has the art of throttle control and actually steering the vehicle down, then he can handle a brushless system. As for the gearing, that 3300kv motor on a 7.2v battery should run stock gearing fine. The 3500kv VXL system in a stampede runs around the same gearing as the brushed motor. Now, it would be different if that motor was 5k+ kv, but its not, and it will be fine with close to, if not stock gearing.

I actually geared up 2 teeth on the pinion in my truck that was running 2 brushed motors. The brushless system doesent even get warm. The motor is just warm to the touch at the end of a run and the ESC is almost cool still. It has also already been said that a 6 cell NiMh pack will be fine with a brushless setup so there isnt a problem there either.

Unless you have some real facts, I havent seen anything that you have said that should steer anyone away from a brushless setup.

Eric