RCU Forums - View Single Post - Egg all over my face!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Egg all over my face!!!

Nostalgia time..

My first attempt into this hobby put me with an instructor who promised to teach me how to not crash, IF I paid attention.

Well I couldnt meet his schedule, (Read I worked graveyards and was too $%#$^^ lazy to get up early on my day off when he offered his time) so I didnt get much consistent stick time.

Soo, one day I goes to the field on my own to just practice taxi-ing (sp?). I throttled up a bit more each run up and down the runway till I was at nearly half throttle, and got ballsy (stupid?) enough to pull back on the stick. Well, I had been playing with the rudder trim so she was out of trim. She immediately began a slow climb drifting left off the runway into the no fly zone. I panicked, did not throttle up as I should have, and with the poor plane grabbing for air at near stall speed I tried to aileron roll it back right. It didnt respond of course, and hit a tree about 30 feet up, coming strait down and tearing the firewall off.

Insult to injury: I had to ask my instructors son, (the friend who got me into the hobby) how to fix it... ($10 and a bruised ego later she was flight ready again)

Lesson learned LOL

Glad yours was minor too, good luck on the lessons you will get it!