RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Pump Plumbing Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pump Plumbing Tutorial

Lots of people use Tygon for their installations, however, Tygon F4040A tubing as purchased at your local hobby shop is smaller ID...it runs .125 ID, versus the 6mm polyurethane, which has an ID of .1575 (20% larger than Tygon).
Tygon works just fine on "small block" engines. I wouldn't even consider it on a high thrust, high fuel flow engine (like a P-180 or P-200), because of it's smaller ID.

The reason that many use Tygon, is that it is usually available locally. The local hobby emporium usually stocks it for the gassers.
6mm polyurethane is available at BVM, Dreamworks, McMaster-Carr, etc. Your local hobby shop doesn't carry it.

Both types of tubing will deteriorate over time with exposure to kerosene, so that's a toss up.
Also, Tygon is soft. I prefer the stronger polyurethane tubing. You must be much more careful when using safety wire on Tygon to avoid cutting it with the wire.

My personal preference is to only use Tygon on the overflow and vent lines. I never use it on any other part of the fuel system.