RCU Forums - View Single Post - Egg all over my face!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
p51Dpony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Egg all over my face!!!

You have a great attitude and fun side so keep it up.  There is one serious issue everyone's thinking about and that's safety.  Unless you're at field mostly alone and away from spectators do the initial flights w/ helper/instructor.  We had a guy show up w/ .46 size trainer, pretty typical starter plane. said  he was getting back into hobby, did control line years back, he was offered help but flatly refused stating he knew everything and had even practiced a little on the simulator.  As a small rural club we took him at face value and in retrospect I realize he didn't even have AMA..!  He fire up plane and took off, that motor ran good, so good the plane started doing 70mph loops right after takeoff, people were running in every direction, the plane came down in the pits, wide open, straight in, and parts appeared to explode all over and engine buried itself about 10 inches into the rock-hard caliche (sp?), the crash happened about 4 feet from a toddler of one of the regular pilots there.  That guy didn't know Jack **** from John **** and we regulars were wrong to not require a "check-out" flight to ascertain him as an actual pilot.  Good thing we were all lucky that day because no one was smart.   A normal person wouldn't get offended when offered help so we should have been wise to this guys deep ability to Bull **** persons....but I digress..

keep up the flying!