RCU Forums - View Single Post - Egg all over my face!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Egg all over my face!!!

ORIGINAL: JimmyDeQuinn

I made the fatal mistake of trying to fly my new Tower Trainer on my own after only one lesson at the field with an instructor. And of course I crashed my plane .
I think it was good your instructor got the first flight out of the way for you, trimming it, and making sure it was ready for take off.
The thing to remember at this point is the mistake is probably the most common one made, over controlling your plane. Think about driving on the highway, when the road ahead starts to turn, you don't turn the wheel as far as it will go! Gently ease the sticks just like when you steer a car at highway speeds.
When you come in to land, let the plane slow down, cut throttle before making the last turn for the runway to slow down and your plane will come down. You'll slowly add more up elevator as you get closer to the ground. The idea is to have full up elevator right at the point you touch down, so I was told, and it worked.
Your plane should have all the surfaces centered (with the radio on), range checked, everything tight and fastened, and then let your instructor check it to see what you missed. You made it this far, don't lose the plane all the way. Hope you can fix it. Post some pictures, we can help you with that too. After fixing it, check the CG to make sure you're still balanced and the engine is clean before you restart it.