RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe

OK, I could never get the ST G-90 with a pipe to run right and finally took it off the plane. In it's place, I have a new Evolution 60NX (40 sized 60) with a pipe. Swapping this engine in took about 7oz off the plane and required no extra weight to balance it. Putting the elevator and rudder servos in the rear provides a lot of options to get the CG right. With the G-90 and pipe on it, I had the battery (Hydrimax flat 5-cell 2000mah) under the wing bolts and it balanced at 4" with no additional weight needed. With the 60NX, the battery is just behind the fuel tank with no added weight to get it to balance at 4" back, which is optimal for this plane I hear. I haven't flown it yet but the engine is turning right at 15,000 with an APC 10x8, 11x6 or 12x5 prop. With the prop options, I can set it up for climbing power or speed or a combo of the two. It was too windy to fly it this weekend but I'm hoping to fly it again next weekend. I may try the 90 again in the future after I figure out the tuning issues I had with it.

The new Evolution 60NX is a powerful motor with one caveat. The stock muffler chokes the life right out of this motor and must be replaced. Jett makes a muffler for it and Evolution (manufactured by Jett) has a performance muffler option for it (part number EVOM1) or you can go with a tuned pipe like I did. The Jett/Evo muffler is a no brainer and offers instant results (close to 3000RPM with some props).