RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
dallas2254

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch

I will be fiberglassing the hull with epoxy resin. Working with the 1/8 plywood, prototype plans and alot of grinding and sanding still required a little bondo. I didn't want to use any filler or bondo as I did not use any on the 85 harbor tug, but it was necessary to get and absolutely smooth hull. I am almost finished with the last of the trim around the top of the hull and then it will take a couple yards of fiberglass cloth.

It is very necessary to have lots of clamps and straps for building this model. I have not had to soak any wood to make the bends as you might with the smaller versions of the Shelly Foss. The last part going around the rim of the stern has been the most tricky. Sure could use extra hands. I decided to use 30 minute epoxy since CA and accelarator does not work with out lots of hands. So far very impressed with my own work. I have set my expectations very low so that is not hard to be impressed with my own work.

I really enjoy the creativity involved in building something with no pictures to show you the best way to do it. I should be started with the fiberglassing by week's end. I need to run down to fiberlay in Seattle and buy some more jugs of epoxy resin. Already plowed through 1 gallon between this tug and the 85 foot harbor tug. I bought about 20 yards of 36 inch fine mesh cloth and resin for my truck projects last year so I running off that inventory.

I have already glassed the main deck and will lay one more layer on it to tie in the hull to the deck for a water tight seal. Then I will start building the bulkward around the deck and then the cabin. At this rate I should be done in a few weeks. The first tug took three months and this tug should be 2 months.

D