RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Will do Al.

Sounds like we're looking for a little more drag than lift with this ship, but it may be tough to overcome all the lift that this wing provides. I have most of my big ships set up with flaperons (if they don't have dedicated flaps), and you're right, they do require lots of rudder to pick up a drooped wing. The one ship with dedicated flaps, GP Giant Big Stik, really uses them when hauling up a load (in a bomb-bay I built that attaches under the CG).

Hoping to get the GSS up either tomorrow or later in the week. Once I get a good feel for her, I'll try her up high and see what she does. I used to fly full-scale as well, out of Brooks Field in Marshall (KRMY now, 5D8 many years ago). Flew a couple of Mooney 201's (that friends owned) that had the Precise-Flight speed-brakes. Great options to help kill the lift and get the plane to stick to the ground. Wonder why we don't have something like that for these larger birds of ours??

I also had a Sig Kadet Senior Kit that I built and flew for about 15 years. Had a large hatch on the bottom that I opened and used to drop parachuters. Open it back up on short final, at about a 45-degree angle right under the CG and made a great speed-brake...even better than a hatch for dropping things!!

Take care.

John from Portage, Michigan