RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

I would think that anything, 30cc or larger, should do. With the Fuji 34, the airplane flies quite nicely for my tastes. I would imagine that something a little larger, up through a 43 cc would definately give spirited performance, but I don't think this plane was desinged for anything much larger than most of the 30-38 cc engines out there. If the Weedwacker conversion was kept to a reasonable weight and can turn good revs, should work well, though may be just a tad bit on the low end of the power scale. I'm not terribly familiar with the Weedwacker conversions, so I can't accurately speak to that engine in particular. All you can do is try!

Bhorton, an interesting idea, to reflex the ailerons up. Two-mistakes high is a good place to start. I'm really starting to warm up to designing some kind of speed-brake or spoiler on the top of each wing, at about mid-span, just enough to kill the lift just prior to landing. You'd want to have something that you could activate on final approach and not have to worry about flipping a switch just before landing...too much going on to have all that going on just when you're trying to make a nice smooth landing. In fact, on any full-size aircraft, particularly single-engine piston, the speed-brakes are designed so that if you have them deployed on fianal approach and have to execute a missed approach, you can apply full power and still be able to climb until you can retract the speed-brakes. They're designed to be just big and effective enough, but not too big or too effective so as to cause a high of pilot workload and uncontrollable aircraft. In fact, if you look at the Precise-Flight speed brakes on a Mooney or other high performance single, you'd swear that they were too small to have any real effect on the flight characteristics of the aircraft. Anyway, food for thought...maybe something to design over next winter???

John from Portage, Michigan