RCU Forums - View Single Post - Balsa USA Smoothie Build
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 AM
jsryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Smoothie Build

Yes, I have actually been working on the Smoothie, but just not as much as I would like to. I've been getting the living room and dining room ready to paint, so work on the build has almost (but not quite) come to a stop.

The Smoothie really doesn't take a four stroke very well. With the narrow fuse, running the throttle pushrod past the fuel tank is a real pain. I pulled the engine and mounted it right side up, which was no better because then the throttle arm was way too high above the fuselage. I even contemplated scrapping the four stroke all together and just putting in a Tower .46, but with the servos already in place and no room for an 8oz fuel tank, that didn't seem like a very good option. So, the four stroke was removed and reinstalled inverted the way I originally planed. Then I had to cut more of the former just in front of the wing out, and got everything situated, but the fuel tank is sitting almost 1/2" higher than I would have liked.

I got the center wing sheeting in place, it just needs to be trimmed to look nice, and as I mentioned earlier, the servos in the fuse are mounted. I still need to install the servo mounts in the wing, sheet the bottom of the fuse and work on the tail section. It doesn't sound like much, but I don't know how soon I can get it done. Hopefully within 2 weeks I'll be ready for covering. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be anything done that warranted pictures, so I didn't take any.

Good flying, Jerry