RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Fleet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

Well, after some trepidation and swallowing of pride, I bought the Stearman featured in this thread. Purpose is to get back into flying trim after a 10 year layoff.

Findings: this plane is not built to last for long IMHO. That said, I've made some changes and have some questions.

I'd like to remove the gray and blue monocoat and replace with a like color yellow of the wings. I checked my supply of monocoats and found a yellow more lemon like and doesn't match the color of the wings as shipped. Would that color be cub yellow ??? Additionally, if I recover, it will give me a chance to peer into the fuse for what may be some beefing of structures.

I built and flew a Concept Fleet for years and surely loved the pull pull systems I made. I may duplicate that feature.

I've read about the gear fairing problems and will address that by some bolts and nuts. I'll put on larger tires. Engine is my trusty OS91FS with C&H ignition. Flew that on a 1/4 Cub with great result. I suspect the ignition module up front may help with CG considerations. Somewhere, I read of some weakness in the firewall and stringers area...any comments on that?

All in all, it'l get me in the air soon as the 1/3 Fleet is still being cut.

Thanks for any and all in advance,

Ray W.