RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Fleet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

Thanks all for the helpful info.

I campeigned my old Concept Fleet for about 5 or so years and retired it and since have missed the slow flybys. That written, I'm looking forward to this bird. I'd still love to replace the grey fuse with a proper yellow. Having 1/3 of construction finished, I don't wish to recover the wings to match the fuse sooooo.

I also replaced the hinges (missing from kit) with Hinge Points and epoxy. Seems to operate more freely and they shouldn't pull out.

My Fleet had all the flying wires and turnbuckles of the real one and they were functional. Easily took 30 minutes to set up at the field. I remember at a past District V IMAA in Va., a rains storm came up and I was more soaked than the plane trying to dismantle it. The N struts and flying wire anchors were screwed into maple mounts with blind nuts epoxied well within the wing. Outer socket head cap screws and lock washers worked well but surely added to the build up time at the field.

Seems the PT 17 has a unique strut stow mechanism that looks promising. I may encorperate something similar on the new Fleet.

That gear needs some MOJO so I may make some bends and not worry about the fairing. Larger wheels are on the list.

Thanks to all,

Ray W.
AMA 2737
IMAA 9513