RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need trimming advice and help with ID
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need trimming advice and help with ID

Hi,

Someone left this old beast at our field in rather poor condition. I put her back together and installed a Hacker electric motor in it. The maiden didn't go so well, so I thought I would ask for advice while I make repairs.

The wing has a 67" span and the fuse is about 38" long. She's a 3-channel bird with an undercambered airfoil for the wing (which was part of my downfall) and a flat-bottom airfoil for a lifting stab. I thought I would balance her at about 40% back from the LE but that appears to have not been enough.

My other mistake was trying to launch her on a windy day thinking that I could (ahem) handle her... well, nope. She was all over the sky and I had all I could do to get her back down on the ground with minimal damage. She was obviously tail heavy.

OK, so my questions are.... with a wing/stab setup like that, where should I have balanced her?

Also, does anyone recognize her??? From what little I could tell, that little lady did NOT want to come down. That undercambered airfoil was really doing its job!!! With the gusty breeze (yeah, I know, bad headwork) I had a tiger by the tail trying to get her on to the ground... I don't want to make that same mistake twice.

I have the feeling that once I solve these problems, she should be a very nice flying airplane.

Thanks,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31956.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1449132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58066.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1449133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81943.jpg