RCU Forums - View Single Post - heli can't lift - the solution
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 AM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: heli can't lift - the solution

ORIGINAL: Ready to go
could someone explain the physics involved?
i would expect the heli to spin in such a situation, but it doesn't. it just doesn't lift.
thanks
Hey again RTG,

I wouldn't know where to start to explain all the physics of rotary flight - it is very complex - but google search "dihedral lift" and/or rotary flight" and/or "gyroscopic progression" and/or "angle of blade attack" and it will give you an idea.....
I will try to keep it simple: At any "moment" (imagine freeze-framing a video) the 'angle of attack' of a blade affects its lift. If the angle of attack is in any way different from its opposing blade (opposite) the lift will be different and usually induce bad vibrations.
Gyroscopic progression is something else to factor in. It is the difference in lift from an attacking and it opposite "retreating" blade.
The upper blades on your model have a top link to adjust these angles to get a balance where both of the blades are within the same range producing a smooth "one-blade" look when viewed from the side at arm length
Does any of this make sense to you? This summary is VERY simplified - there are many factors involved in rotary flight.

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]