RCU Forums - View Single Post - Balsa USA Smoothie Build
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
jsryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Smoothie Build

I've been working diligently on my Smoothie since the last time I updated this thread. I wanted to keep a nostalgic look to the plane, so I selected cream and pearl bronze as the main colors for the covering. All the parts have been covered and it's pretty much ready for final assembly. I just have to wait for the wheel pants to dry and to flatten the landing gear to get the nose closer to the ground. Oh... I want to cover the black paint in the engine compartment with a coat of polyurethane and fuel proof the fuel tank area just in case the tank leaks at some point. I wanted to go with an open cockpit, but I had already trimmed the canopy, so I didn't have enough material to get the position of the windshield right, so I'm just going with an enclosed cockpit for now (I need to email BUSA to see if they will sell me a canopy). If I ever go with an open cockpit, I'll finish the dash and put in a seat outline, but I don't see the point right now considering I painted the canopy with smoke paint. I covered the bottom of the plane in black and yellow... I'm not very happy with it. I was going to recover the bottom in cream and black before I started on the top side, but I let one of my flying buddies talk me out of it.

Anyway, that's about it, I got some pics of my progress down below and hopefully I'll have it up in the air in a couple weeks. Take care, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78731.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1453623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14049.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1453624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46735.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	51.3 KB