RCU Forums - View Single Post - Balsa USA Smoothie Build
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 PM
jsryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Smoothie Build

Well, the Smoothie is finally done... almost anyways, all I need to do is adjust the CG a little. I didn't put the wheel pants on it because the paint orange peeled on me and I don't feel like sanding them down to repaint them. They were just plastic pants and they wouldn't have held up to the grass I fly off of, so it's no big deal. The CG is right at the forward limit of the recommended spot, so I'm going to get it right on or on the aft side of recommended. It should be pretty easy, because I installed the battery pack as far forward as I could get it. My scale is a 50lb scale it isn't very accurate on the low end, so I have no idea of it's actual weight. It read 4lbs on the scale, which is the same as it reads with a 5lb weight hanging off it. So, I'll just say it's a 5-5.5 pound plane with an empty tank.

The covering is ToughLon Pearl Bronze and Cream on the top and Monokote Black and yellow on the bottom, the pin striping is Great Planes 1/4" black. The Monokote was leftover covering that I had, but if I had it to do over again, I would buy something else like black and white checkers for the bottom. Oh well, I'll just have to live with the balk and yellow.

OK, that's about it. All in all, I'm very happy with the way things turned out and weather permitting I'll be flying the Smoothie next weekend. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Take care, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78717.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1455895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88792.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1455896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71828.jpg
Views:	349