View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: 800mZero

Ok

On my first landing of this type I was the first to ever do it.
On my third attempt it was not a charm and killed my pilot.

What aircraft am I?
Sopwith Pup. Thanks; Ernie P.

On 2 August 1917, while performing trials, Squadron Commander Edwin Dunning landed a Sopwith Pup, believed to have been N6453, successfully on board Furious, becoming the first person to land an aircraft on a moving ship. On 7 August, he made one more successful landing in the same manner, however on his third attempt, in Pup N6452, he tried to go around for a better approach, the rotary engine choked, and the aircraft crashed off the starboard bow, killing him. The deck arrangement was unsatisfactory; in order to land, aircraft had to manoeuvre around the superstructure.

She returned to the dockyard in 1917 to have the aft turret removed and replaced by another, 300-foot (91 m) deck for landing and a second hangar, giving her both a launching and a recovery deck. Two lifts serving the hangars were also installed.

After being recommissioned on 15 March 1918, Furious and her embarked aircraft served in a number of important battles in World War I, notably the Tondern raid of July 1918 when her Sopwith Camels attacked the Zeppelin sheds at Tondern.