View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Looking into Boats

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first big boat. I've been toying around with toys and then small scale electric for forever now, and I'm ready to move to gasssers. I want an RTR or simple kit that won't take too much time or skill to assemble, and will put out good peformance on the lake. What are some reliable, high performance boats out there?
Hi Andrew, Good to hear your ready to step up to gassers. My first and last choice

As you can see from the above posts - there are plenty of options and opinions - all of them good for various reasons.

If I could ask what kind of boating you plan on doing. Small calm pond or big choppy lake. You have buddies that are also running (if so what are they running and are they of interest?). You have an interest in racing down the road?

Theres a number of good options and some overlap between both sport boats (Boats that are run for fun and not built to a rule or class - typically more opportunity to be more scale), and race boats (Boats that are built with speed being the emphasis though often built with a class and set of rules in mind). Both types are high performance though race boats are usually higher performance than the average sport boat.

Further to those considerations is the style of hull and size of hull. You have a particular type of boat you prefer. Classic hydroplanes, deep vees, catamarans etc? Size of hull is going to be governed a little if you intend of racing the boat - they tend not to get too large. But if you are planning on having fun on the bay then a big vee will be a blast.

You can run a race boat socially (for fun) and never race it. Will serve you well. You can also try to race a sport boat (though they tend to be less competitive - it is generally not recommended and may not be permitted in some classes).

If you could provide a little feedback we could perhaps help narrow down some of your options.