RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli Skyraider Build
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli Skyraider Build

More color shots. Sorry about the multiple posts with only two pictures. I am trying to stay within the size restrictions of each post.

I sprayed this using a cheap "automotive touch-up gun" from Harbor Freight. It actually worked very well except the overspray is too much to free hand the camo pattern so that it looks right. I realized I had to mask the colors off, but was trying to get a good looking edge without it being razor sharp. I settled on using 3/16" thick foam weather strip tape from Lowe's. I would have liked to use the 3M round blending tape the professionals use, but the price was way too high. I paid $3 for 17ft of the weatherstrip tape and it worked okay. Basically I just sprayed from the masked side to the side that needed painting to get a soft edge from the foam tape. It worked okay, but I have some areas where I ended up with no blending. Overall it looks pretty good though.

Note the four tan stripes n the fuselage. The Skyraider guys in Vietnam used these to denote the squadron commander's aircraft. I figured it would be okay to add these to my dad's aircraft since I will let him be the commander of our Skyraider squadron (of 2 aircraft). Mine will be painted similar to his but minus the stripes and with a black bottom instead of the light gray.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21567.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1467599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59949.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1467600