RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli Skyraider Build
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli Skyraider Build

Couple of detail shots.

First picture shows my crude attempt at a hand carved static show prop. I still have to paint the tips, but it actually came out pretty nice. It is missing the cuff of the full scale Aero Products prop, but looks pretty good from 10 feet away. The cowl is just sitting in place right now, but will be mounted using dowels and rare earth magnets. The dowels will keep it in alignment and the magnets will keep it in place. Works nice and clean with no external screws to worry about.

The second picture shows a couple of minor details. I added 1/64 chart tape when primering and then removed it before painting to simulate panel lines. Nothing new there, but it was the first time I had done it so I was happy with how it came out. I learned a lot and will apply it to future models. Another thing to note are some small raised panels. There are two in the second picture but are hard to see. Before primering I added some metallic Shurtape brand tape. When i weather it, I will sand and scuf the paint on these panels to simulate wear and tear and paint chipping. The two panels in this picture are the ammo boxes in the wings. I'll get a better picture after I weather this area to show it better.

The last thing to note are the small decals I added here and there. My wife has a "Brother P-touch" label maker she uses for scrap booking and things. I figured i would give it a try for making decals. I downloaded the USAF amarillo style font from the internet and used that with the label maker to make these. The resolution degrades on the really small stuff, but work pretty good for what I needed. I think most of the decals are in too small of a font anyway so I will probably peel these all off and redo them in a little larger font.

I have to say i have been impressed with the decals as far as their chemical resistance. I labeled some containers I used to mix up the Klass Kote paint and they stood up to lacquer thinner very well. They also seem to be good with alcohol and gas. Turns out we use the same labels where I work and they stand up okay to high concentrations of nitric acid and caustic solutions too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93822.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1467615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13632.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1467616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58541.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	63.3 KB