RCU Forums - View Single Post - Someone help me get this Stearman flying!!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:44 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT FLIES......IT FLIES

Finally got the courage to take it up again today, and, IT FLIES! Took all of the down-trim I had and a little more, and full right aileron trim to get it reasonable. I didn't fly too long, just long enough to see determine characteristics and make a few passes. Strong headwind down the runway helped liftoff, but, boy, this thing doesn't need any help slowing down. At a little over 16 1/4 pounds, it's a hog, drops like a stone without throttle, something I learned by squatting it stoutly on the gear when landing, again, cracking the gear mounts, day over. But, I attribute the last to my own error, not making a few more passes, getting the feel of the glide path. All was looking pretty good up to the end though, so I stuck with it, another try or two and I think it should get a little easier. The plane sure does look good in the air though in spite of the weight, and it was very enjoyable to fly. Flies well slowly. I don't think I opened the throttle more than 3/4. When I looked down at the TX quickly to see how much more I had, I couldn't believe I had that much extra power left. I wish I would have pulled it through a loop with it, but it needed trimming badly enough that I thought it wise just to get it back. All in all, I figure a pretty good success, well worth the lab time on the struts! Problem was definitely CG related...I know, I know.............it's called nose heavy, stupid!