RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

We are going to be leafing through Helen's scrapbook pretty much in chronological order...I decided to photograph items that I felt would be of general interest to fans of this thread.

You can see from these photos that R/C pattern competition during the early days was very much a tightly-knit community of mature, established, and generally well-heeled pilots...most of them in their 30s and 40s. The equipment was expensive, and everyone needed to have not only excellent flying skills, (with reeds), but also excellent building skills. Flying smoothly with an unnatura, (toggle) flying system such as reeds was harder than the later-vintage proportional units, and building was an important part of the hobby. Many pilots were engineers, and employed their skills in the hobby to full advatage.

One of these pictures from the scrapbook is from a newspaper clipping in a major Detroit newspaper. Both of them are great photos. One show Kaz shortly after winning the FAI world championship in 1960 making a low pass or his taildragger Orion. Great camera angle. The second shows Tom with his Nimbus 1 posing with two of the early greats of modeling. Nimbus 1 was Tom's answer to Ed's Orion.

Duane

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13235.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1468490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39081.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1468491