RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 81a FS "drop in" for 70? It depends...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 81a FS

Guys, thanks much for the compliments on my Four Star.

Don, it's the inside of the spinner hitting the adapter nut when it is screwed all the way in. I have a friend who can do some light metal working, so I'm thinking of asking him to grind down the adapter nut by 1/8 inch. That would easily do the trick, and I think it would still leave enough meat for the screw to attach securely. What do you think?

RCD7 and Noveldoc, the OS .70 flies it very well using a 14x4 prop, but I know not everyone would be satisfied with the vertical. It will easily do vertical eights, either with an outside loop on the top or a half roll at the center. Remember, it's lighter than most 4 Stars, at 7 lbs even. Also, with the 14x4 it lands very nicely without the excessive float that some people complain about. But it runs out of steam fairly soon if you just point the nose straight up. I was satisfied with it for my style of flying, but once I started thinking about getting more power with an engine swap I started liking the idea.

I think that grinding down the adapter nut would do the job. Let me know if any of you have any thoughts on this. Meantime I'm going to clean up the 70 a bit and put it back in. I agree, 4 Stars are really nice flying planes.

Jim

Jim