RCU Forums - View Single Post - Neoprene, Tygon, and Viton UV Resistance
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
iliveonlytocrash
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neoprene, Tygon, and Viton UV Resistance

Had a plane that wouldn't start last week. The plane does not have a cowl on it. I found the portion of the fuel line thats not inside the fusealage was cracked, especially the top portion that is exposed to the most light. The rest of the line (the part always in the dark) is fine. Its 2 years old. Its Hayes neoprene. The searches i've done on this forum talk about a lot of problems with this fuel line, but I'm wondering if the problems other people have had, have been deterioration from fuel exposure or UV light exposure? I've noticed the same problem with the same hayes line on my fuel jug. I've looked up the specs on neoprene, tygon, and viton, and they all claim to be UV resistant. Does anyone know if Viton and tygon have any better UV resistance than neoprene? I use Viton inside the tank, and I will use it everywhere if it will hold up to UV light. From what I've experienced the last few years and what I've read here, nothing seems to work very well. Is there any good solution that will last several years or is it best to just buy the cheap stuff and replace it every year?