RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is it really necessary to pin nylon or CA hinges?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is it really necessary to pin nylon or CA hinges?

Never pinned hinges other than the one time some years back.

Never had any surface pull out. Never had any hinge pull out. Had a number of stab flutters and not one hinge failed even when there was damage back there. Those most certainly would be significant tests for hinges pulling out.

If you install any hinge into a tight slot with the appropriate amount and type of glue, nothing more is needed.

BTW, I've used nylon hinges for quite awhile, since they came out. Started using CA hinges when they showed up because they were so simple and quick. But they looked risky so I tested with a number of glues. If they're installed correctly they're bulletproof. The only ones I've ever experienced that failed were in a really cheap model and they looked cheap. I've yet to see any that looked cheap since.

If you don't do the pinning job correctly, there is a strong argument that you're actually weakening the hinge area. Of course, most "craftsmen" whose skills lead them to pin, would also be ones who are apt to pin improperly. It's a never ending circle, ain't it.