RCU Forums - View Single Post - BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Hi Guys,

I'm starting a new Elan thread because the current one is over 100 pages long and unwieldy. I am going to begin it with some questions that I'm sure lots of newcomers to the Elan would want answered but for which there are no answers in the instructions:

1. FLAP INSTALLATION: When you install per instructions and slots pre-made from factory, the flap cannot retract back to the neutral position (it's a bit downward, say 5%). The only way to get the flap to neutral is to install it with about a 1/4" gap between it and the fuselage. If you do that, the CA hinges won't hold well because they only penetrate 30% on each side and the trailing edge of the flap extends well beyond the trailing edge of the fuse (which is contrary to what the instructions show). What did you do about this? (see picture below)

2. DREAMWORKS AIR BOTTLES: In order to get the bottles into the fuse, I had to lift up the tray that comes pre-mounted in the fuselage and do some cutting of formers. This didn't even do the trick. I had to put a straight cut through the first hole former in order to change it's shape temporarily to allow the bottle to slide through. Otherwise, the angle of the bottle approaching the first hole former is too much to allow the bottle to slide through. I'd be interested in other solutions. (see pictures below)

3. SERVO MOUNTS: For the servos, rather than using the screws supplied, I simply drilled holes all the way through the mount and used 2.5 mm bolts. It feels much more secure.

4. HEAT SHIELDING: I realize that there are guys who have applied zero heat protection and have hundreds of flights. I'm paranoid. I installed BVM heat blankets on the bottom of the fuse (adhesive was Permatex Copper High Temp silicone) and then I painted BVM ceramic heat shield over it (see pix below). I also painted the wood surfaces with it. Looks crusty, but the insides of my jet won't be melting or burning! (pix below)

5. GEAR INSTALLATION: On the main gear I had to use the drum attachment to my Dremel to allow for the flanges on the Dreamworks gear. Todd suggested it to me and at first I didn't want to cut into the fiberglass. You can see that it doesn't really harm the appearance and it works well. The kit suggests screwing the gear in with the included 12mm x 2.6mm screws. I know Alan has put incredible thought into this so I'm sure the screws work fine. My preference was to use blind nuts and long bolts to secure the gear. I haven't chatted with Alan, but I'm wondering if using the screws allows the landing gear to easily rip out on a hard landing without destroying the fuselage. If that is the case, I need to grease all of my landings! (pix below)

6. CLEVISES: Again, personal preference, but I used 4-40 rod and metal clevises everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42367.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1472208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94075.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1472209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94750.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	125.3 KB