RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/16 Scale rc Cromwell Tank build thread
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM
bigfiver69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16 Scale rc Cromwell Tank build thread

Okay, okay... I've threatened to build both a Marder 3 and a Hetzer, but those project have just not gotten off the ground.

However, having built a Crusader last year, a nice Cromwell tank is now on the work table.

I've picked up a WSN T-34 to use as the basis of the build - not sure if I'll use the WSN electronics or not. On the fence about that one. I just want a nice indoor runner, not an outdoor battler.

I've also picked up the 1/18 scale (120mm) display model of Michael Wittmann posing on the turret of a knocked out Cromwell. I'll be using that for the turret - one serious problem is that one side of the turret and part of the back are cut off! So that'll take some styrene and filler - still, way easier than building the turret from scratch. On the plus side, the sculpting is outstanding, with working hatches to boot. Nice one!

I haven't compared the turret to my scaled up drawing yet, but it actually looks larger than 1/16 (I was afraid it was going to be smaller!) More 1/15 - 1/14 range. No biggie... I'll just build the rest of the tank to the dimensions suggested by the turret.

I'm doing this as a summer and fall project with my son. Should be a lot of fun, and we're hoping to have it done by October.

I'll post some pics over the weekend.

Shep