RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is it really necessary to pin nylon or CA hinges?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it really necessary to pin nylon or CA hinges?

I like to thank all of you for your insight. I was under the assumption that if it's glued well, pins aren't needed. Like I wrote, I haven't had the need to use them, and besides that, I check the control surfaces by hand every time I fly.

I guess it's a personal preference thing and not a proven fact that pining is a must for control surfaces.

I'm getting to the point of my building level if I build a kit or a ARF that means a lot to me, I plan ahead incase I need to re-cover and re-hinge. If it's ca hinges I use the debonder, safety razor and X-acto to get them out, and if they are nylon hinges I use heat, safety razor and X-acto.

To me the Great Planes Fokker is worth the effort, I drove 450 miles to pick it up and I've always wanted one for 7 years. And to this day I've been hounding Great Planes to bring it back.

To tell you the truth guy's, I don't think I ever drove 450 miles to pick up a woman!

There's a guy at my field who has a 17 year old Yak kit. He told me he's rebuilt the plane twice and if he hadn't told me I would have not known at all that it was a pile of toothpicks once.

To me I'm starting to see the art of rebuilding and the satisfaction it can give.

I thank everyone for their answer.

Pete