RCU Forums - View Single Post - QB-150 Sheet Wing Racer Build
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: QB-150 Sheet Wing Racer Build

Very nice Joe, but I'm not surprised. You're the kind of guy who dives in and gets it done.
At this point, I cut out the ailerons, install chunks of dowel for the wing screws, cut out for the servo, build the servo mount with the bottom of the servo flush with the topside of the airfoil.
The underside of the wing gets a strip of FG cloth applied with medium CA, then the trenches for the torque rods can be dug out. I make a digging tool out of a short hunk of brass tubing that has been scraped to a sharp edge. Chuck the tubing into a drill motor and use your Xacto to create a sharp, inner edge on the tubing. Silver solder a handle made out of wire to your brass tube digging tool. To install the torque rods, you've heard about using grease as a barrier so that you can glue them in with thickened epoxy....but you can also wrap the torque rods with "reversed" tape to create an instant, slop free bearing, then glue them in. I use aluminum foil tape, but other types of tape should work, too?
The torque rods are 2-56 threaded push rods, sharpen the tails that insert into the ailerons, so they don't break through the surface of the ailerons. I pin ***** the ailerons where the torque rods are imbedded and harden the wood in that area with CA. You can also apply 2 oz glass cloth there if you are paranoid....[]