RCU Forums - View Single Post - Senior Telemaster "short" kit build
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Senior Telemaster

Date: November 6, 2007

Finally, some noticable progress tonight. I stopped at the hardware store, and sure 'nough, they didn't have bit the size I needed. So instead I decided to go without the paper outer tube. This may be better in the long run, the paper won't be there to fray or jam the area for the joiner tube to slide. During wing assembly, I'll have to be careful to be sure I hit the holes properly.

That issue resolved I could continue on. First, I needed to drill a 1/2" hole in the plywood joiner tube reinforcements. I clamped them all together, making sure I had one side flush, I drilled all of them at once. (See Picture 1)

I also drilled a hole in the 1/4" temp center piece. You can see it between the wing halves in the pictures.

Once the reinforcers were drilled it was time for preliminary fitting. I threaded the joiner tube, the temp center section, and all the reinforcement pieces together with the wing halves bolted together. (Pictures 2 - 5)

Next I braced the end of the wings for appropriate dihedral. (Picture 6) If you look back through previous pictures, you'll notice the dihedral is one block higher. The reason for this is to use a block at the center of the wing. This is to provide working clearance for the extra bit of reinforcers and clamps to clear under the wing. (Picture 7 - 8)

Next I wanted the joiner tube to be roughly level. So I measured the distance from the work surface to the bottom of the joiner tube on the each side. (Pictures 9 & 10)

Finally, time to glue. I glued all the reinforcements to the ribs. I even clamped the bottom of the reinforcements. (Picture 11 - 15) Once the glue dries, I will take the wings apart, and cut off the excess reinforcement pieces, then add sheer webbing, and finally sheet the top of the wings.

The wings have a ways to go, but they're getting there. Still on the list, wing tips, top sheeting for the back of the wing, cutting the ailerons away, building the servo mounts, and making and attaching the leading edge. But all of that will have to wait for another day.. or two or three.

Picture 1: Drilling holes in joiner tube reinforcements.
Picture 2: Joiner tube and reinforcements put into position. No glue yet.
Picture 3: Joiner tube and reinforcements put into position. No glue yet.
Picture 4: Joiner tube and reinforcements put into position. No glue yet.
Picture 5: Joiner tube and reinforcements put into position. No glue yet.
Picture 6: Braced for dihedral. Plus one thickness of wood... You'll see why.
Picture 7: Here's why, the center needs clearance under it too.. for now.
Picture 8: Here's why, the center needs clearance under it too.. for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26559.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1479845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80184.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1479846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95781.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	94.0 KB