RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carbon E props, what’s your experience?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Reko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon E props, what’s your experience?

When I started with electrics a few years ago I experimented with carbon props on a C50 14XL, but found no real benefit over APC. I have since only used APC props. I’m now flying a 13XL on a Sebart WindS Pro and with a 21x13W APC prop. It’s a good setup but I just don’t like the fluttering sound of the APC in the snaps of F11. I’m hence considering carbon props again and bought some to test. I though I would share the results

Test setup: WindS Pro, C50 13XL, YGE 80HV, DesirePower 10s 5000, Eagle tree logger.

APC 21x13W – one P11 schedule, strong winds -> 3250 mAh
Rasa 21x13 - one P11 schedule -> 3700mAh
Mejzlik 21x13 – one P11 schedule, strong winds -> 4500mAh!!

All props consumed about the same current on the ground, 85A. In the air it was quite different. The performance with APC is great. The RASA (APC copy) performed, in terms of speed and “vertical pull”, about the same as the APC. The Mejzlik had much worse performance then the other two and is, in my opinion, not useful for F3A. Its pitch distribution and airfoil seems optimized for static thrust only (probably ok for 3D).

I’m surprised about the results. I was sceptic about the mejzlik, but I really thought the RASA would be better, considering it’s a direct clone of an APC.

Since playing around with carbon props is expensive I hope that more people can share their experiences in this thread. Are there any that can match the efficiency of the APC? Which have you found to be the best?

David