RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito - Pro FG 14 Tips and tricks only!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saito - Pro FG 14 Tips and tricks only!!!

How are people going with this engine? Mine is getting better and better with more run time, but still runs rough.

I've got about 120 minutes air time in a Pulse 60. The engine is a perfect fit for this plane and drives it with authority. Vertical is good, but not unlimited. I think my tuning is just about OK as I haven't had a dead stick for the last dozen or so flights.

The start (always first spin) and idle is perfect on mine. The fuel economy is outstanding. It will idle happily away for another 5 minutes once I've emptied the tank just on the dregs. A litre of petrol will over 2 hours flying time (for me, about 12 flights of about 10 minutes each).

I'm gradually getting more power, but still have uneven running from anything above idle to WOT. I think the fueling and tuning is just about right in that the engine sound doesn't hesitate in rolls, spins, inverted loops, steep dives or any other manouvere - it just keeps running rough, but shows no tendency to stall.

It might be the ignition. I've still got the original Saito ignition unit, but am reluctant to buy a new one unless I'm sure it will make the difference between rough running and perfect running. In the meantime, I'll keep flying it rough. Maybe it will keep getting incrementally better as I keep flying.