RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beetween and seven year old son
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
nekked_man_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beetween and seven year old son

When the Beetween came out many years ago, I built one from the magazin plan. I let a litt boy fly it, he crashed it, but it mainly destroyed the body. So, I rebuilt the body using the wing and tail I already had. I made the nose longer because with the Black Widow I was running on it I had to add lead to the nose; also I wanted to be able to use My Tee Dee with a fuel tank. So the nose is an inch longer and I deleted the cockpit, I used to have a bubble canopy on it. Fast forward about 10 years and I would take my 3 year old to the flying field... so this be came "his plane", not motor and an old toy car radio, he'd set it on the flight line and show it off to people and throw it around and pretend he was flying it with the radio. Fast forward another 3 years, and I was about to trash it, many broken ribs and just lots of hager rash and the covering was peeling, wood was oil soaked...but he wanted it. Soooo, I stuck, somehow, some old useless econocote on it. I was going to stick a "product" cox engine on it...but I decided the covering wouldn't last 5 flights with that thing drooling on it... so into the scrap heap and I found a geared e-flite 380 from an old Electrajet, and I bought a 7 cell NiMh pack for $8.00. Stuffed it all inside and today got the first official test flight. It weighs about 18oz. and flys very good. I remembered it flew good with the cox, but I was afraid it would be too heavy and underpowered with this set up...but I think it will make a good plane for hime, he flew it around while I took the pictures.

It flew good enough that I think I'm going to build 2 more, one for me and one for my dad. I have a Parkzone decathalon that I will take the guts out of for it, I think it flys better than the decathalon, I may do ailerons on mine.

I have flight pictures and even a little video, but with only a 3 times zoom on the pocket cam I took it just looks like a speck. Next time I get to go fly I'll take the camera with some zoom on it.

cheers

Austin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53326.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1481723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25231.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1481724