RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cen Matrix sc-5 First impressions
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cen Matrix sc-5 First impressions

So my matrix finally showed up yesterday. I ordered the 4wd kit with no electronics and a clear body. I don't trust the rtr electronics and will stick with my hitec servos and spektrum radio that has not failed me in 3 years. Box was nicely constructed to avoid damage. Probably added 6 lbs to the weight of the package but the box arrived from California with no damage (rare for large scales. Took it out of the box and had a good look at it:

The truck looks pretty well made. The body is thick. I first thought that witout any side body mounts that the body would flare around a bit. But due to it's thickness, there was not much movement. The truck as a whole is very realisitic looking comparing it to the 1/10 scale short course trucks. I think in the long run, the wheel wells will need to be trimmed a little to avoid rubbing during running.

Looking at the upper arms (pic below), it looks like this may be a weak point as the width of the arm is twice the size of the suppory it is giving, This may end up breaking during a run. It looks like the elcon alloy upper arms for FG may fit with a spacer. I have a set I will have to try out.

One major concern I have is the lower arm mounting to the chassis. One side on all arms use a rose ball cup. the other is attached directly to the chassis using a ball cup. This looks like these can weaken and pop out during running. May be a big issue especially on a track.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:
looks just like a short course truck
detailed body
soft suspension - can always be adjusted
boxed nicely for protection
front and rear bumper are flexible- they should be able to take a roll without crumbling apart
flexible body mounts- they have some give which may help keep the body from cracking on rollovers.
Window masks included- very rare on large scales
WHAT I DON'T LIKE
The tires are glued on the inner side of the rim, these should have been beadlocks on inner rim like the outer rim.
Plastic gears- at least one should have been steel. will look for upgrades
gear cover is not vented. there is no where for air to get in to keep gears from overheating.
No decals- have to contact CEN about that.

I did not take the engine off the chassis but I did not see any markings in the typical places to see what brand it is. i do not think this is a CY engine and it is definately not a Zenoah.

DISCLAIMER:
This is my impression and on my opinion. The above states what I have seen and looked at based on the truck out of the box. I am not saying the truck stinks or is great. This is what I think about the truck.