RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tank tread pin removal
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
RCCOMMAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tank tread pin removal

ORIGINAL: sassgrunt

I have found that trying to hold a small-diameter rod, AND a small hammer, AND the tracks - all at the same time - is just too clumsy for me, most of the time. I have had a lot of luck using a small spring-loaded center punch in one hand and the track in the other. The General Tools punch that I'm posting a link to has a really slender point that usually manages to start the pin moving in one or two clicks - just enough to get ahold of the end with pliers or vise-grips. Any further and you risk the taper of the punch opening up the hole.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/44...c_Center_Punch
I go with both the push pin method or the center punch, whichever is within reach when I need it. The auto center punch works wonders and quick. To your point about opening up the hole at the entry point of the punch in the track, I removed my tip, and machined it to the diameter of the smallest track pins and I've also removed the stout original spring in the auto punch and replaced it with a much lesser one, offering just enough "kick" to remove the pin, first hit every time. The auto punches I use I get for under $5. Follow these guy's advice, 88mm and you won't go wrong.