RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is it really necessary to pin nylon or CA hinges?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Is it really necessary to pin nylon or CA hinges?

ORIGINAL: ro347

I plan on Pinning hinges on a Funtana that I am about to maiden being that there seem to be alot of issues on this plane when using CA hinges. I was planning on using T pins, and cutting the ends off. Would this be ok, or should I be using something thicker? Ive never had to do it before, so was just wondering.
When I pin them I use tooth picks and medium CA, cut the pin/pick, sand and forget. CA hinges are very good but they must be installed correctly like anything else. There should be a center hole drilled into the hinge slot so the CA will wick the entire hinge and wood. If the slot isn't a tight fit the hinges won't have a good fit. You should get them glued in correctly the first time and not use any more glue over the glue you already used. As I mentioned, the only time I had a hinge problem was when I didn't get enough epoxy into the slots or I may have pushed the epoxy out of the slot when I installed the hinge. Depending on the thickness of the TE and control LE is when I decide if I will pin or not. Planes like the Balsa USA DR-1 have thin surfaces and flat hinges with Pacer hinge glue hold very well. Finding the Pacer today is a real treat and if I find any on a HS shelf i buy it up. Good stuff.