RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maiden Flight of GP Cub with GP floats
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Maiden Flight of GP Cub with GP floats

ORIGINAL: hutchis

Just thought I would share some information on my maiden float flight of this clipped wing cub (40 size). The floats are the 40 size gp floats that I modified with a water servo in each float. In these pictures, you can see the y harnes exposed behind the wing as I have not made a permanent solution for the wiring just yet.

The cub/floats was my winter project last year, and I have been flying the cub on land most of the summer with a 55 os ax. When I finally installed the floats, I was surprised how much lead I had to add (see pictures) in order to barely get the plane nose heavy. In the gp float kit, the instructions had me install 1.5 ounces inside each float, but in addition to this, I had to add 3 additional ounces on each float, mounting them to the exterior of the floats which I really did not like. Obviously, the two servos in the middle/rear of the floats had something to do with this. Needless to say, this whole kit was a little heavy and I was a little nervous on my maiden flight.

I made the same mistake on my kingfisher, I installed a servo in the float without checking balance first and also needed to add more weight,, If I had to do it again, I'd move the servo to the front of the float and save a few oz.s.

Last Saturday at a local event a guy had a 60 size or 1/4 scale Cub,, He had installed Servos, 2nd Rx, and battery in the floats so it was completely isolated from the Flying Rx,, Nice idea really if you can afford the extra weight,, No wires to run down the struts.

I agree, once you get comfortable with the extra weight and drag of the floats, you'll find the plane plenty aerobatic.
good luck