RCU Forums - View Single Post - Breaking in - OS FS 1.20 E Surpass Engine
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
portanav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in - OS FS 1.20 E Surpass Engine

Does anyone have experience breaking in a new OS FS 1.20 E Surpass Engine? I usually use Saito 4 strokers, but decided to go OS. Nice looking engine starts easy but I find that the exhaust oil run-off is very dark, black-ish in colour. Is that normal during the breaking-in process? So far I ran the engineaccordingto the instructions; two full tanks running rich very rich and leaning out for 5 seconds every 10 seconds. Then I ran the engine very rich for a full tank that is three tanks at roughly 10 minutes each tank, so 30 minutes of initial breaking in, then I made a flight with the same rich mixture this time not so very rich. I find the run-off behind the exhaust is very dark, never had that with my Saito's.
Can anyone tell me if that is normal for OS? Looks like lots of carbon, could tis be just due to the rich mixture ( I do not think Methanol is a 'hydrocarbon fuel") or is it the carbon in the steel wearing in, or breaking down? I hope I am not damaging the engine.
By the way, the engine runs great and starts easy, but compared to my Saito's (F-100) the compression is not as high, it is good but not as high. On a cold Saito it is difficult to turn-over the prop in one continuous motion, you have to pause and let the pressure bleed off.
Looking out for some remarks and or suggestions.

Thanks.

PS: This is the airplane that the engine is in P-40:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ge96573.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	4.76 MB
ID:	1495715