RCU Forums - View Single Post - engine rebuild service?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Lowvoltage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine rebuild service?

I picked up an old Super Tigre .40 in a trainer at a garage sale. The motor was stuck. I soaked it in Kroil overnight. The next day it turned over just fine, but a buch of junk came out of the motor. I took the backplate off and flushed it with fuel. Then I tried to start it. It would run wide open or not at all. I pulled off the carb and cleaned and checked the spray bar, and set the low speed needle valve per the Super Tigre web site. It would start and idle, but would not transition smoothly to full throttle. Then, in searching for help on the internet I found the following advice about tuning these motors in a RJL .61 manual:

1> Start the engine and open the carburetor to the full open position, then adjust for peak R.P.M. with thehigh speedneedle.

2> Close the carburetor barrel slowly until the lowest possible speed is reached without the engine stopping.

3> Go to full throttle after about 10 seconds of idling. If the engine gains speed slowly, the idle mixture is too rich.
If the engine stops, the idle mixture is too lean. Turn the idle needle clockwise if mixture is too rich
and counterclockwise if too lean.

The engine will accelerate from idle to full throttle smoothly and instantaneously when properly adjusted.
The engine may not idle well at a low setting or accelerate as quickly until it is well broken in.
Turn the idle needle clockwise if mixture is too rich and counterclockwise if too lean.

This has helped me get some of my dad's old engines running again.

Joe