View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Koverall

[quote]ORIGINAL: martyg

Hello JEB,

I just finished working through your ModPodge process on a disposable wing half from a buddy's crashed ARF.
Thanks for posting your method, and giving me a starting point.

I am using 100% polyester dress lining from the craft store.
The material weighs 4.4g/sq ft and shrinks fine.
I am using a disposable HD foam brush to apply the ModPodge thinned to a ''milk'' consistency.

The weight is piling on fast, and I haven't even started putting color on.
I am heading for a finished density of 16g / sq ft, about twice that of a Monokote finish!
See the enclosed spreadsheet for measured weights, normalized to g / sq ft.

A handful of topics I would like to discuss:

1. I am having a lot of trouble filling the weave evenly without leaving streaks/blotches. These would show through the color if I were to proceed with the wing as it is.

I did not experience this. The weave filled nicely with 2 to 3 thinned coats. Koverall is 1.25 oz per square yard of material http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGKV001.html
[b]The material should be applied in thin even coats and allowed to dry completely before brushing on the next coat. Overnight worked for me.

Can this be fixed with another brush coat?

1b. Have you tried spraying this stuff?

Thinned to proper consistancy it will spray like any other latex product. I did not spray mine. The foam brush worked for me.

2. Is There an effective way to seal the wood at the beginning, so I can avoid soaking a ton of glue into the wood surface? Have you tried using a sanding sealer?

You should seal the wood BEFORE putting the fabric on the surface. The unsealed surface will absorb the fabric glue and filler like a sponge. I sealed my wood with ModPodge. You have to be very careful with warpage though. This is a latex product.

3. How long does the ModPodge need to cure before it stops feeling tacky?

4. Do you have experience spraying latex finishes on this surface? Do you recommend a primer, or can I go directly to the color coats?

I use white latex as my primer and base. You could use a sandable primer but this will add weight.