RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESC control problem?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 PM
evildok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC control problem?

I have a FMS Donier Alpha Jet running a 70mm Electric ducted fan, with a 50A ESC on 4s 14.8v 2200kva 20c & 30c Lipo batteries. According to my calculations, based on the consistent voltage drop on 5 min runs, I should be able to run each battery up to 8 minutes safely before recharging. However the 1st time that I tried to run the 30c battery to 7 mins the Motor just stopped running at the 6 minute mark and the airplane crashed. On recovery of the aircraft, i noticed that the battery was hot. So i concluded that the battery must have over discharged and been destroyed. But I tested the batteryimmediatelyafterward and realized that the battery had above adequate charge to still run the airplane. So i subsequently flew the airplane with the stock 20c battery and it did the same thing after about 5 mins 30 secs...both batteries have been recharged and are still good.. I ensured that I did not run the motor on full throttle for more than 8secs..Could this be a problem with my ESC? .....Would switching my ESC to a 60A model fix this problem? And would there be any adverse effects of doing so?