RCU Forums - View Single Post - 25cc toro on a diet
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 PM
crossflow235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 25cc toro on a diet

I have one of those Toro Motors in a boat. Mine had the small air reed valves on the sides of the cyl head. I modded it with a Walbro 257 carb, a custom intake and velocity stack, tuned pipe and modded the cylinder to take advantage of the porting the air reed valves had. The reeds were removed and I J/B welded up the holes where they went to the air cleaner. It is a great motor, runs strong, low maint, easy to start.

I do have one issue I have been trying to resolve though, it appears that the stock ign has a built in rev limiter. I can run the motor WOT and it acts like a built in studder. Thats fine on the shore but in the water I can't get it to tune out all the way due to this, it leaves a nice black residue on the exh silencer and is affecting top end. I know it has the power and potential to run up the rpms but I can't due to the rev limiter. I thought about a higher pitched prop but then the hole shot would be lost. Jetting is correct and I have played with needle settings for several months. It just hits a wall on rpms. If I keep it below the rev limiter it runs great. I have a homelite string trimmer for the yard that would put this toro to shame in stock format. (Standard small carb and poor exh system).

How did you get the electronic ign to work? is it a simple procedure to change it? Is there anyone who knows of a way I could keep standard ign and bypass the limpt rev limiter. I dont want to replace it with a Zen, hoping I can find a soultion.

Thanks, Scott