RCU Forums - View Single Post - Solutions for AMA's membership decline
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solutions for AMA's membership decline

ORIGINAL: vinnielopez

They are hurting the hobby because a lot of the guys that were around 20 years ago when I first started flying are all gone now they passed away or got out of the hobby and sadly some of those guys were not friendly at all. What the hobby needs is not people that warm up to newbies but people that welcome them by the time one person sticks around 20 have walked away from the hobby because of the unfriendly enviroment. And as far as the AMA thats 20 lost memberships.
So do you think it is something peculiar to this hobby that makes folks unfriendly, or belonging to the AMA makes folks grumpy, or what?
Could it be that is it just human nature, and that grumpy people can be found anywhere, anytime, just itching to whiz in your Cheerios?
If it is the same now as 20 years ago, do you think it will change?
Is AMA to open a club finishing school to polish up all us old poops?

This is not directed at you vinnielopez, but I see a lot of the same sentiment in these threads:

I just cannot for the life of me understand why folks let the actions, opinions, moods, or whatever dictate how they have fun.
If you wanna fly, you're gonna go fly.
If you're such a wall flower that other folks just being normal other folks scare you off,
then you probably don't have what it takes succeed in this hobby anyway.

Very little the AMA does or does not do is going to affect the hobby, or the AMA numbers.
I keep seeing "the hobby is growing, but AMA is not."
I don't believe it.
The hobby may be shifting to the smaller electrics so that folks don't need to fly at AMA clubs.

The hobby and AMA will be just fine.
Both will (and always have) find their own equilibrium, and along the way
will ebb and flow just like everything else in this world.