RCU Forums - View Single Post - my cub flies a lil funny
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: my cub flies a lil funny

Hello Kyle,

Let me say first that I am not trying to monopolize this thread. I hope others will contribute to your cause. The best I can do is some thinking and pass along my thoughts.

We have a CG that is moving along at a fair speed and free to rotate in 3 axis due to 4 aerodynamic forces. It may be7 forces if 3 forces are rotary to prevent attitude changes.

The mass involved is small in terms of inertia to the axis (plural ?) of rotations.
It takes a very little torque to rotate the airplane attitude around the 3 axis.

Some of, or a combination of, the observatons you made can very well be the main cause of turning to the right.

Concening right and down thrust, no great accuracy is needed (only an opinion for whatever it is worth).
Some incidence meters claim to measure these angles but, from what I have seen, I could notmake out their procedure explanaton and concluded it was a far remote claim.

What I do follows ___
I place the model on a flat tableand set it up so that the reference line is paallel to the table top.
I have a fair judgment of what 2 degrees look like from having drawn such an angle on a 8 1/2 X 11 inches cardboard. Do not use a protractor; use dimensions and a caliper to draw as accurately as possible. I cut this angle out of the cardboard and place it on top of the engine shaft. It becomes easy to judge if the side of the cardboard triangle that is not contacting the shaft is parallel to the reference line.

For side thrust angle I place a long straight edge on the table and line it up with the fuselage center line (line of symmetry). Then placing the cardboard triangle on the side of the engine shaft and looking vertically down i can judge the angle.

This process might not be highly accurate but I think it is well within the accuracy requirements.

Other people may have a better method and hopefully do a posting.

Enjoy and have fun,

Zor

P.S.: edited to correct two spelling errors.