Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Wingman33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

This is the easiest Arf ever to biuld ,EPP foam is a great choice for a biulding medium ,Looks wonderful,Price is rite, BUT************************It flies like a brick it is under powered .a exsesivly short wing gives it scale looks but major flight instability,Im selling this little sucker It says on the box (If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen)Hey Guys Your House IS ON FIRE!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49130.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	64432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32743.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	64433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93387.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	64434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95570.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	64435  
Old 09-30-2003, 12:00 PM
luc-RCU

Default RE: My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

lol
The mpj is a very nice plane but I agree with you there are some drawbacks:
- Underpowered...cure: I put in it a mega 3 turn
- glitches on rx: you need the put the antenna out on one side of the wing (or buy a micro-antenna, which I did)
- Is sensitive in flight: Put the CG on target and don't forget to have both ailerons slightly up at neutral if you want to fly flat.
- Launching might be a problem: I use my pedal launcher

After all that, it flies perfectly...

Name:	Ki18234.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	64689  
Old 10-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Wingman33

Very Nicely done! I may have been a little hard on my statments but if they would have made the wing coard juts a little wider they would make a killer jet .
Old 10-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Wingman33

This Micro jet is giving me more gray hair.the C,G, is on the mark I have been trying 8/500 7/500 8/1100 7/1100a 480 motor a 400 motor, full throttle lanch, 3/4 throttle launch, hard throw ,medium throw.I wish I had a guy from Multiplex with me today!!!!! Im not new at thisand this thing isdriveing me nuts a short trip. Mike
Old 10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Wingman33

So what im thinking here is this jet needs more power and less weight check out the 4,8volt motor compared to standerd 400 motors38Watts short af a astro brushless withTWO less cells lighter . what doyou think.??Specifications : From the Graupner site,

Motor
ref. Watts
Volts

7,2V (GR1794) 35Watts 8,4 Volts
6V (GR3321) 35Watts 7,2 Volts
4,8V* (GR3320) 50Watts 6,0 Volts
astro020 (802) 88Watts 8,4 Volts
Old 10-06-2003, 06:21 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Flew mine this weekend for the first time. All I can say is WOW!!!. Unlimited vertical and a roll rate that is hard to believe. Now mine is not stock. I have an Astro 020 brushless powered by a TP 2100 LiPo pack in the plane. I have only three flights on it but so far so good.
Bob
Old 10-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Wingman33

Finally put this dog out of its misery today.Short wing span makes it a very unstable flier,with the 400 gunther prop and small wing area makes it a underpowered brick. Keep some CA and Kicker handy !! But to all you guys that say you love yours more power to you**** (and it was clocked at 108mph) :O Aw that aint nuthin!! Mine was doing 109mph wene it roll rated its --- rite into the ground WOO HOO!!

Name:	Bz78698.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	67008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13716.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	67009  
Old 11-05-2003, 05:16 AM
andyede

Default RE: My <span class=

Flew mine for the first time yesterday.

I am using the stock motor and prop. with an Xtra22 ESC and ripmax 8.4V 600mAh NiCad. My building was hampered by a duff speed controller with wanted full throttle all the time. this had the amusing affect of throwing the motor and propeller across the room when i first connected them up. after a replacement everything was fine (apart from the small issue of wiring the motor up the wrong way around....i knew i had to reverse it but for some reason nothing in my brain told me that red to + and black to - was wrong in this case) so set the control throws up approximately as stated in the instructions and went over to my local park. My CoG was very slightly aft but i wasn't too worried about this as i thought i might help the climb out.

I had tried to get a friend to come and help me throw but ended up in my own so after waiting for all the old giffers to finish walking their dogs around very slowly gave it full power and a good hard chuck!! It seemed to follow a text book ballistic trajectory straight into the ground before i got my hand anywhere near the stick. This cracked the plastic under the nose in a few places but nothing serious to not to be out done by a bi tof foam i picked it up to try again....

As i was thinking about how to make it abit more successful i remembered reading about putting in some up trim atleast for the first launch so i added about 1 1/2 - 2mm up and tried again. Good hard throw slightly upwards and we were away. It sank but the nose didn't drop and it very soon picked up speed and was climbing away. The motor torque took it ot the left slightly which since i am normally a glider pilot and havn't flown powered for years was abit of a flashback experience.

I soon realized that where i was flying is not nearly big enough. i was having real trouble trying to not fly over the trees and was still desperately trying to trim the thing. the rearward CG was making it really unstable and i didn't have a very good roll rate. also i was stalling in the turns, i could hear the prop slipping as the airflow broke from the top of the wing. after about a min i thought it might be time to get it on the ground and adjust my control throws so after 2 slow passes got it on the ground alittle way away. I upped aileron control quite abit and elevator alittle, and also puled the battery forward a few mm but couldn't really check it cos of the breeze. Second flight, launched same as before had some more contorl but CG was still aft and was still very unstable. Battery soon died from te 2 flights so brought it in again and went home to charge and play.

I sorted the CG out, increased the aileron throws some more and sorted out the damage from the first throw. I decided i needed more room so i went up on the south downs (UK) where i had big open fields to fly in and a nice smooth wind. i had 3 more flights up there and didn't change a thing. I was loving it but it got dark too soon to get anymore in.

This things gets upto speed damn quick when you put the nose down! i soon got the hang of it, sweeping turns and low passes look great but don't try and turn it too tight or you will hear the prop slip and the speed drop. The change in airspeed between up and down wind can interesting when doing proper circuits but most of the time i was dossing about doing fast stuff. There is one thing i do need to change however. i found that it really tries to put its nose down when under power and i had to hold in quite alot to make it climb so i've put a bit of balsa under the rear of the motor to see if that helps but i have yet to fly it again. This is because my speed controller seems to have melted and i havn't got a clue why....very annoying.

After the first few flights i thought this was going to be a dog to fly but i really enjoyed the last few. i was confident enough to fly low doing turns and circuits ata bout 2/3 throttle and landings were easier than i thought to. Some power s needed but it is still controlable and can be slowed up more than you would think. no power at all is interesting cos it slows down alot and it easy to stall if you pull up to much. i didn't time it but i think i was getting about 4 - 5 min flight times, maybe more. I'll get back when i've had some more flights to see how its still going
Old 11-07-2003, 02:43 AM
andyede

Default RE: My <span class=

i've packed out the back of the motor to give about 5 maybe more degrees of up thrust and its still putting its nose down with power on. i'm thinking of leaving it like that and programming in some up elevator with increased thottle.

i have to stop flying in a field with big flints in it cos as the landing speeds are quite high its starting to take its toll on the underside of the model...
Old 08-08-2004, 11:19 PM
akastan

I had launch problems too. I constructed a launch rail from PVC pipe and some sailplane line. It is 6 feet long with the end 6' off the ground and at 30 degree up angle. I give the stick slight up on launch and we are up and flying. I have opted for less battery weight and less air time. Five or six minutes is about all I can handle flying a bullet like this. It is a lot more fun now that I get it airborne every time without a problem
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the stock setup flys great !

2 small movies of mine.

stock sp 400 8 kan 1050 cells. 2 multiplex mx3 servos and schulze 50be esc, jeti 7k rx.

4mb http://bornholm.adsl.dk/modelfly/fil...ojet/mjtop.WMV

6mb http://bornholm.adsl.dk/modelfly/fil...et/MJVideo.WMV
Old 09-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one of the best things you can do to get a bit more performance out of it is to ditch that bendy gunther prop and add an adapter and a APC 5x5 or 4.75x4.75 prop. With that prop, handlaunches are still a good throw, but it doesn't dip at all. All at my club fly with that setup on various battery setups and it flies great. The APC prop even reduces some of that cavitation that you hear on a tight turn/loop.

Spar
Old 09-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Woody 51

Building one at present.

AXI 2208/20 Brushless, APC 4.75 x 4.75 prop and 3 cell Lipoly (10 C)

SJN, How do you think this set up will go? I'm thinking of also incorporating a little motor left thrust, to counter the prop torque characteristic at launch.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Woody 51

Well, it flies just great with the AXI Brushless and the 4.75 x 4.75 prop on a 3 cell Lipoly.
Also tried a 6 x 3 prop on a 2 cell Lipoly pack. Slower, but still quite stable and a lot of fun . Seems the main problem lies in that gutless lump of a motor provided with the kit. Go Brushless guys, it needs the extra grunt.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
conversere

Set mine up with a Himax 2025-2700, 1700 3cell lipo, 4.7 x 4.7 Graupner prop. Launches easily and flies pretty darn fast. Don't know how long the motor will last since it gets pretty hot. Will remove the plastic spoon mount an replace it with aluminum with some fins to dissipate some heat. Flying without the motor cowl helped some.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
luc-RCU

never got any problem of heat with the mega 3 turn...
Old 01-15-2005, 05:23 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a microjet and after reading loads of coments SJN's Videos helped me a lot. I fly on KAN 1050 8 cells with a cheap £ 4.99 brushed 480 motor. Many people have crashed this jet on launch and I was sure I would do this but I have had 3 flights now and all went well. I believe the secret is as follows.

1) Get the balance right this is quite easy with the KAN 1050's
2) Have at least 4 - 5 mm up elevon measured at the white tails on launch
3) have about 1.5 mm extra up on the right elevon when viewed from the rear to counteract the torque
4) Change the stock prop to a Graupner 5.5 x 4.3 with a prop adaptor.
5) Give it a good hard throw into wind. This jet needs a little wind or it will dip on launch
6) After the throw as always get your hand on the stick as quick as possible.

Once you have mastered the launch this jet is great fun it does low passes lovely and the sound as it sweeps overhead is awsome. For the money it costs it is in my opinion excellent value.............. You do need good eyesight however to follow it in the air.

Also dont trya Graupner 480 Race BB It cost me £ 20 and all it did was eat my batteries and got hot. I my view the 480 Race BB is a terrible motor
Bigplumbs
Old 01-15-2005, 05:26 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

SJN Do you get much glitching.

I have used ferrite rings but still get a little. I have 18 planes all electric and most glitch a little but with the micro jet being so small and with the quick roll rate glitching on this is a little worring

Bigplumbs
Old 01-15-2005, 11:26 AM
mavdriver
My Feedback: (14)

[8D] I have an 020 that needs a home , bruff what tp 2100 2 s or 3 s ,what size prop ? thanks Ed
Old 01-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Woody 51

Try one of the new Czech made MZK Rx's.
They have a microprocessor for DST signal reception.
A group of us have been trialling some and have had glitch free flying, where in the past, using JR 610M and Hitec 555 Rx's, we have had glitching all over the place.
The MZK's come in 4, 6 and 8 channel and all weigh in under 10 grams and are cheaper than the JR and Hitecs mentioned above.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM
igorh

I have 2 lipos (kokam 1500) with original permax 400. It is not strongest, but enough for low weight <350g.

... Well ... first start is really difficult and I ended in ground too .... but thanx low weight model survived without any damage.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
mavdriver

i flew the micro jet today [8D] awesome performance with this motor set up guaranteed to work multiplex 4 turn brushless , cc phoenix 35 , 2 s 1500 1 p x 2 = 3000 in parallel , 4.5 x 4.5 apc e prop. run time approx. 15 mins. but i din`t want to push the batteries so i flew 12 mins. lots of power to spare , one thing i notice this little plane does not like going slow specially when your turning , it will loose speed in the turns so you have to fly it just like it was intend it , a jet , love that speed Ed
Old 01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
krispeyy
My Feedback: (3)

I went with the Permax 450 Turbo brushed motor, and an 8 cell 500mah sanyo pack. It flew OK, but too slow (heavy). To launch mine, I put 2-3mm of up into it, and chuck it at 25-30 degrees. I haven't crashed it yet. I put 2-kokom(sp) 3 cell 2100mah 15c li-polys, and the astro flight 020 on layaway. This setup should be prety good. My main concern is weight, because all the microjets that I've seen die, were heavy. I'll try making it light, but powerful.--target weight is 15-17 oz----rpm with a 5x5 should be 22000.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:51 PM
mavdriver

your doing the right set up 020 , tp 2100 3s cc phoenix 35 . it should scoot , that wil be my set up also . Ed
Old 05-28-2005, 09:09 AM
twang

Gidday All,

For the information of anyone interested I have finally come up with a setup that makes my MJ a joy to fly and at a bargain price. The range of Align products has just become available here in OZ, the price is good so I was keen to try them out. The MJ now has a LF 400 (type 2) 2200KV brushless motor, a 35Amp esc and an 1800mAH 12C Lipo or another brand 2000mAH 10C pack. Balance is easily acheived by moving the battery (use velcro to keep it where you need it). By the way the biggest problem with the MJ is balance, it is critical. The little plane is not tolerant of an out of place CG. I have found that balancing at the front edge of the two little CG bumps is best. Too far forward and it becomes hard to land as you will not be able to hold the nose up and rearward is just too exciting, as I found out this morning. Using an APC 5x5 prop, I was showing about 17000rpm at 15 Amps on the ground. I use a bungee launcher. Controls are set as described in the instructions with 20% expo. Glitching was fixed by trailing the aerial out the back, however this makes it corkscrew in loops, I may need another bit of wire for the other wing.

The little plane had a good turn of speed and was very stable, just plane fun.

I had in the past tried 8 cell KAN and Graupner 480, this worked alright, however the brushless is much better.

I hope this helps someone enjoy their MJ more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.