Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

800mW Spylinker System

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Mikea23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800mW Spylinker System

How good is the 800mW spylinker system? Does it have the 2000 feet range that he says it has? How well can it go through obsticales that are in the way? Can other cameras be used with the same system, for instance like the one blackwidow av sales? Or would that require alot modification? What are some experiences that some of you may had with this system and improvements made upon it? Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: 800mW Spylinker System

Originally posted by Mikea23
How good is the 800mW spylinker system? Does it have the 2000 feet range that he says it has? How well can it go through obsticales that are in the way? Can other cameras be used with the same system, for instance like the one blackwidow av sales? Or would that require alot modification? What are some experiences that some of you may had with this system and improvements made upon it? Thanks
If you have broadband or DSL, check out the videos on my website on the "Movies" page.
I have several wmv movies there featuring the Spylinker system.
One video is a comparison video comparing the Spylinker setup, a $350 Supercircuits setup, and the Spylinker system using a Hi Res 460 line CCD camera. No real modifications with the last other than the power supply. The CCD camera runs on 12v so we used a 12v nicad pack to run both the camera and the Spylinker tx but put an 8v voltage regulator between the batter and the tx.
Its possible we are getting 2000' of range but we have never actually measured it.
1.2ghz does NOT like going thru obstacles such as trees and spectators. We put the rx up on a length of pvc mast to get it above head height which solved that pretty well.
I have mounted the Spylinker system on a Bowman Super Scooter EPP combat foamie with great results although the resulting video might make you toss your cookies. This is due to the plane being set for full control throws, buffeting conditions at the slope, and a psychotic pilot.
In good daylight you get the best results.
Modifications :
Add some kind of glare shield to the camera such as a cardboard tube or mount the camera in some kind of "pod" about an inch recessed to prevent glare. On my Super Scooter, I mounted it in an EPP pod on the top of the nose.

Another mod I made was to remove the RCA connector mess and go for a 4 pin Deans Plug connection. Only uses 3 of the pins for Ground, Positive, and Video. Saves a lot of weight and allows me to mount the system on different planes by using different lengths of wire. There is a 5v voltage regulator in the fat rubber bead molded to the camera lead that MUST be included in any wiring mods.
This can be exposed with an X-Acto knife or razor blade and, if I recall, the connections are clearly marked on the little PC board making easy to re-solder to.
I plan to add the Panasonic Camera that BWAV sells to the system on my slope glider but that will mean using a different battery to power it.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:58 PM
yb2normal

Hi Dan,

I use a LM2940 LDO linear regulator to power my 5v CX161 from up to 10 volts. Not sure how a jump from 12v would sit with the vreg, but I think it would be ok with good heatsinking. Something to consider....

Bill
Old 08-09-2003, 01:08 PM
closetflyer

I learn on RCCAM forum that 1.2ghz systems from china and HK are illegal to operate in US because they are actually just below 1.2ghz??

I actually hear the frequency is reserved for AVIATION use, sort of ironic concidering what people on board are using it for

So this means illegal to operate even with HAM license since frequency is not in band HAM's are allowed to use. I guess especially bad for HAM operators to use because license makes them responsible for understanding frequency they operate on and obey rules.

Dan (KE6ERB), not to put you on spot, have you tested frequency of spylinker system?

Just a heads up, operating in band used for aviation seems not so good idea after events of 9/11

Maybe that explains cheapness of equipment...
Old 08-09-2003, 07:21 PM
yb2normal

The legality of the cheap 1.2ghz systems has been discussed quite a bit on both the RCCAM forum http://groups.msn.com/rccam and the ezone http://www.ezonemag.com

I have stumbled across at least two independent tests of different 1.2ghz transmitters that both fell just under 1200mhz, but the links escape me. At least one of the tests was done by an rccam board member.

Even the more expensive PLL 1.2ghz transmitters top out at 1200mhz (still illegal), and the rest of the channels are well down into no-no land. In my discussion with one of the manufacturers of the PLL based systems, they were simply not aware of the USA's FCC bandplan in the 1.2ghz range.

For what it's worth, most of the China and Hong Kong units are so low of a power that it is unlikely you would be caught anyway. It's a personal decision if you want to break the law. I was a lawless radio operator in my early days (all 2.4ghz stuff), then I finally broke down and studied for the HAM test. Unfortunately even a HAM license can't make me legal with the 1.2ghz transmitters.

Kind Regards,
Bill
Old 08-13-2003, 08:11 PM
steve_molmer

Default just a test

test
Old 08-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by closetflyer
I learn on RCCAM forum that 1.2ghz systems from china and HK are illegal to operate in US because they are actually just below 1.2ghz??

I actually hear the frequency is reserved for AVIATION use, sort of ironic concidering what people on board are using it for

So this means illegal to operate even with HAM license since frequency is not in band HAM's are allowed to use. I guess especially bad for HAM operators to use because license makes them responsible for understanding frequency they operate on and obey rules.

Dan (KE6ERB), not to put you on spot, have you tested frequency of spylinker system?

Just a heads up, operating in band used for aviation seems not so good idea after events of 9/11

Maybe that explains cheapness of equipment...
I guess I AM now on the spot since I recommended this system so much. Yes we have since tested it. I honestly wasn't aware of any illegality of the system at the time, however, or I surely wouldn't have. We are actually nowhere near any airports, especially when flying on the slope and running low power so the likelihood of causing any interference is minuscule.
I saw systems being sold at the Pasadena AMA show that cost over $200 AND operated on 1.2ghz. This led me to believe that the Spylinker 1.2ghz systems were fine to use and one hell of a bargain.
Not saying that this excuses anything.

I suppose my name is Mud in this forum now.
Sorry guys.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:02 AM
W4UAV

The mudman, the mudmeister, the mud-a-ruski...
Old 08-14-2003, 11:25 AM
CrispyCritter
My Feedback: (26)

Fubar, I for one am greatful for all of your hard work and information you have provided. You are not mud in my book. The mud belongs to the people who whose only goal in life is to bring negativity to anything that crosses their path. Lets worry about people drinking and driving, people who prey on minors, drug dealers etc. In my part of the world, a woman who was a multiple offender for bad checks got 9 years in prison while a guy who had a meth lab explode and kill another guy got 3-6 years in prison. What's wrong with this picture? These are the pressing issues that face us, not RC Airplanes with camera's attached.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2003, 05:10 PM
quyetflyer

dan...i personally thank you as well....and agree with crispy!...although, now i have to make the decision to use my (now worthless and illegal) spylinker camera.....my flying feild is 1/4 mile away from runway 16 @ westchester county airport!~
Old 08-15-2003, 02:07 PM
closetflyer

Sorry Dan, I sounded challenging and I didn't mean to so much. I too appreciate all good work on video equipment.

Your desire to clarify frequency shows dedication to hobby and honesty. Kudos.

CrispyCritter, I agree that society punishes crimes in less-than even terms in my opinion, but saying people should say no negative things is putting blinders on. People come to forums as source for good information on hobby, and they deserve to understand full consequences of recommendations on forum.

If they do get caught, plea of "but they said it was ok on RCUNIVERSE" will not impress judge.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:55 PM
CrispyCritter

I agree with you that all of the facts need to be known plus I don't remember seeing in here anywhere that it was ok to do. I just think that the people who said these cameras will be the downfall of our hobby are just a little overboard. If you fly near an airport or a military base then use some common sense. But in rural America where I live, I don't think I will have a problem and if I do, I will live with the consequences. Posts about anthrax and area 51 are the types of things that will cause eyebrows to be raised and hurt the hobby.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:45 PM
closetflyer

Yes, anthrax discussion unnecessarily inflames issue.

"down fall" of hobby is very strong words, but discussion has been on for some time about how Feds might regulate hobby due to perceived risks. Operating RF equipment on model airplane that interacts with full size aviation equipment might just be one more nail in coffin. We just don't need that trouble.

Regards,
David
Old 08-16-2003, 03:24 PM
elevator_up

I did a very quick search of the net and there is tons of stuff for retail sale in the US operating on 1.2 GHz frequency. Lots of personal home security systems, lan applications, etc, so finding it to be illegal would be very surprising and contradictory to me. However I did find some ambiguous material on a ham radio site, it was even further ambiguous since it appears they were not concerned with transmission with a power lever below 1 watt and not for commercial use. I also found some good tips also from one ham site on RC video on how to avoid any a frequency problems with your receiver.

It appears to me that our use of video is valid for a number of reasons: low transmission power level, not for commercial purposes, personal and recreational, short time durations, remote transmission location, etc. I'd like to suggest that that if any one knows that this is illegal they only reply with facts and a legal reference, other than speculation, causing us to chase our tails in urban legend. My quick review indicate its fine, using the parameters above. Just a few on the many links I found below. I'll keep looking for facts, but I need to head to the field right now !

P.S. Quyetflyer - Just as info, AMA bylaws states that we should not fly (above 400 ft) within 3 miles of an airport without notifying airport.

http://cu1.com/12gig.html

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras....neral-info.htm

http://www.hamtv.com/pdf.files/R-C.pdf
Old 08-16-2003, 03:56 PM
mr.rc-cam

Lots of personal home security systems, lan applications, etc, so finding it to be illegal would be very surprising and contradictory to me.
The FCC Part 15 (license free) approved devices have RF power levels that are MUCH lower than we are using in aerial video. Except for some spread spectrum designs, the consumer RF devices all operate with less than 1mW (.001w) of power.

And one notable key difference is that the approved devices have been lab tested for use in license free applications. Without the Part 15 registration number, which must be applied to the RF product, unlicensed use in the USA is NOT allowed.

We can all spin this "it must be OK to do because xxx" any which way we want. But, the bottom line is that the equipment operator is subject to the fines and punishment, not the seller. So, do not use the ease of availability as a key to the legal aspects of these imported RF products.

RC-CAM
Old 08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
elevator_up

RC Cam,
Thanks for the info. Just for clarification, I think you're saying the use of the 1.2 GHz frequency is not illegal, just the use of the camera because it has not been tested, and approved by a government body ?

There are many retail items for sale in US on the 1.2 GHZ frequency, and at a higher output level, such as the 1 Watt - 1.2 GHz security systems shown on the links above.

I travel to Taiwan frequently and last year brought back a 1.2 GHz cordless phone, so I now understand that its use here is not condoned, but if I find the exact same phone here with the FCC sticker on it, then that unit would be ok. So this FCC approval is kind of like the UL symbol that appears on electrical products such as toasters, VCR's, etc ? Basically any transmission product/appliance not sold in the US/Canada would have this problem ? Guess the multi region VCR I brought back from Asia is also a problem ?
Old 08-19-2003, 03:49 PM
mr.rc-cam

I think you're saying the use of the 1.2 GHz frequency is not illegal, just the use of the camera because it has not been tested, and approved by a government body ?
I am saying that the 1.2Ghz Tx is not legal to operate without a license and must meet the specific spectrum requirements. In the USA, the 1.2Ghz band is partitioned off into two main areas: Government (mostly aviation) and Amateur (ham) Radio. It is illegal for John Q. Citizen to use the Gov allocated areas and only licensed hams {that observe the Part 97 rules} can use the 1.2Ghz spectrum area that was allocated to them. The two users do not share their allocations.

Although there is the possibility for ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) use in the 1.2Ghz band, there are NO provisions for consumer video products to be used in this allocated area.

There are many retail items for sale in US on the 1.2 GHZ frequency, and at a higher output level, such as the 1 Watt - 1.2 GHz security systems shown on the links above.
From what I have seen, those systems would require an FCC Part 90 (commercial) or Part 97 (ham) license. They are not legal to operate otherwise. The restrictions outlined in the particular license needs careful consideration too. For example, a ham license does NOT allow surveillance or one-way communication.

If you have been told by the vendor that their 1.2Ghz wireless video systems are legal to use in the USA without a license then please post more details to the device. Include its FCC Part 15 registration number (the only real indication that it is legal to operate without a license).

I travel to Taiwan frequently and last year brought back a 1.2 GHz cordless phone, so I now understand that its use here is not condoned, but if I find the exact same phone here with the FCC sticker on it, then that unit would be OK.
You should not find any consumer cordless phones sold in the USA that use 1.2Ghz. Only 27Mhz, 49Mhz, 900Mhz, 2400Mhz, and 5Ghz have been authorized. Average power levels are quite low (usually under 500mV/meter @ 3 meters). As you are aware, your 1.2Ghz cordless phone is illegal since it does not have FCC Part 15 and Part 68 approvals. Both are needed in the states.

So this FCC approval is kind of like the UL symbol that appears on electrical products such as toasters, VCR's, etc ?
No, they are not the same thing. UL, and their competitive counterparts, are non profit private agencies that perform safety tests. Despite common belief, "UL" approval is NOT legally required on any product. Manufacturers obtain the approval for marketing and liability reasons.

On the other hand, FCC registration of USA sold consumer RF products is required by law. The gov is responsible for our frequency allocations and their focus is to maintain order in the spectrum and minimize interference (they have done a poor job on the latter). They could care less about product safety or quality.

The FCC Part 15 approval process involves submission of the device's technical data, test results, and other information. If the device meets the FCC standards then it is issued a unique FCC registration number that must be clearly identified on the product. It is usually found on or near the serial number.

Basically any transmission product/appliance not sold in the US/Canada would have this problem ?
Any consumer (license free) RF product would need to have a valid FCC registration number. This approval is important to have -- so important that, if it is missing, then you know something foul is going on.

All of the mundane details are found at the FCC web site. You should look at the Part 15, Part 90, and Part 97 regs. If you are also interested in the rules that govern telecom products that connect to the public switch network then take a peek at the Part 68 regs.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 PM
elevator_up

Thanks RCcam for your response. I'll inquire with some of the US vendors of 1.2 GHz products for how they get around this and get a copy of their FCC number (if they actually have one). Keep you posted.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:08 PM
mr.rc-cam

I should point out that the license issues with the 1.2Ghz equipment also extend into other RF bands. For example, nearly all of the "legal" 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz wireless video Tx's that are used by R/C'ers require a license to use.

The main point is that unless a valid FCC Part 15 registration number is found on the transmitter, it is NOT legal for consumer use in the USA. The best defense is to obtain a ham license and closely follow the Part 97 rules.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:32 PM
closetflyer

Originally posted by elevator_up

That does not make them legal. On cu1.com website, frequencies of 1.2ghz transmitter are listed:
"Nominal Frequency Band 1.2Ghz Channels (Switch Selectable) 4 Channel Frequencies (Mhz) 1080 1120 1160 1200 "

So, it is illegal to operate this transmitter in USA. Just because retail seller carries item does not make it legal. Even if they say it is legal, that does not make it so. Good news is that when you are fined $10,000 you can litigate seller for mis-representing legality of equipment. Unfortunately, you cannot litigate to get back time spent in jail.

David
Old 08-20-2003, 12:34 AM
CrispyCritter

Yaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnn
Old 08-20-2003, 01:11 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice way to celebrate your 50th post
Old 08-20-2003, 10:00 PM
closetflyer

Originally posted by CrispyCritter
Yaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnn

Opps, I am busted with my negativity again
Old 08-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Owild1
My Feedback: (7)

I for one couldnt give squat about the legality of this product....I Want IN now tell me where to plop down my doe for it.... Garuntee you there are 1.000 truck drivers with 1000 watt liners hittin me every day.......