Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Please help with FPV cam wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
FlyMathias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with FPV cam wiring

This is my first post on RCU. Who's gonna pop my cherry?

So, I bought a wireless nanny cam for my Slowstick plane that I've been modifiing.

Here's the exact model: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_5920wt_907

I have so many electrical questions.

A. It came with a 9V adapter. Do I need to reduce the voltage or can I just wire it straight into my existing power? I am running a 3S 20C 1300mAh Lipo. Won't the camera just draw what it needs, and that's that? Or is there a chance of frying it? I've read that the transmitter likes the extra juice and you have a little bit better range/performance. Is that true at all?

B. Regardless as to weather or not I need a voltage regulator, where do I wire into? One person told me to just wire it straight to the battery side of the ESC. Does that make any sence? I would think it would have to be on the RX side of it in order to have the Lipo voltage cutoff protection. And I would think it would be safer for the whole system that way. Am I on the right path?

C. Is it easy to modify the antenna on the camera to a V system? And, if I can do that, do I need to have a V system on the RX too?

D. It's a 2.4gHz system... is that going to mess with my plane? I have a 2.4gHz DSM2 6ch Parkflyer RX and a DX7 transmitter.

I'm already regretting purchasing this system. After my research I quickly realized that I should have bought a 5.8gHz system. Oh well.
I want to get the longest range possible without needing a license. So, I'm sure I'll be buying whatever it is that will work. Any suggestions on a good inexpensive Cam system with a built in TX? Or a TX/RX system that I can patch up to a Go-Pro (when I get one). Just trying to get some ideas on which direction to go. The best range is going to be accomplished with a seperate TX/RX system from the camera, won't it???
I'm trying to keep my weight down though. So....... how do I do this???

Thank you for your help.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Whatts05
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please help with FPV cam wiring

For starters the antennas that come with most of these systems aren't good enough to reach very far. Usually some sort of Directional antenna would be ideal. To get 9 volts to the system you wouldn't be able to use a voltage regulator. You would need a separate battery. I think the biggest issue you will run into with this specific plane is the amount of weight you can actually load onto it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to but it will be quite a hassle to get all of this to work.